Re: IBC Masonry Special Inspection Requirements

At 06:54 PM 3/2/98 -0800, you wrote:
>I believe it's up tp the engineer of record to define that "periodic
>inspection" on the general notes or specs.
>
>Tom Chiu, SE
>Thomas Engineering
>
>Sandy Pringle wrote:
>>
>> The new IBC 2000 removes Continuous Special Inspection for most masonry
>> buildings.  In its' place there is something called "Periodic Inspection"
>> which is defined in one sentence as "intermittent inspection".  What should
>> this definition really be?
>> How should Periodic Inspection in Structural Masonry be defined??

>> R. Sandy Pringle       STRUCTURAL INSPECTION CONSULTANTS Inc.

Mr Chiu,
With all due respect, I am a Special Inspector, and if this definition is
left the way it reads now, you guys will be fighting the same competition
battle you've always had to fight whenever you wanted a quality assurance
item on your plans.
When you envision the actual construction process of a masonry building,
there are many critical elements that won't be able to be verified very
easily or even with some effort if just a few more courses are laid.
Shouldn't this be more clearly spelled out in the code as to just what this
means?  At what points should there be inspection??

R.Sandy Pringle
sandyp(--nospam--at)sic-inc.com
"Always hold your head up, but be careful
to keep your nose at a friendly level."
	Max L. Forman