Re: IBC Masonry Special Inspection Requirements

Code Standards are not bible and meant to be only minimum standards for
design and construction.  If the engineer of record thinks that any
masonry wall requires continuous inspection, he(she) can always specify
that on the drawings.  As for periodic inspection, the EOR should not
just blindly rely on the Code definition and so as the inspector.  It
should be clearly define on the plan.  Code is not construction document
but the plan is.  I would specify the following stages for inspection
for an average job on my plan:

1.  Inspect footing to wall dowels.
2.  Inspect wall reinforcing bars before the courses are laid and
pour      of concrete.
3.  Inspect concrete pouring.
4.  Inspect wall to slab dowels and ledger bolts/ wall anchors.

If I miss anything, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Tom Chiu, SE
Thomas Engineering

Construction is where you learn engineering, not in design office, not
in school.