Re: duplication of plans

Jessica Pemberton wrote:

> I have been doing lateral designs for over 3½ years and
> have noticed many changes in what's expected of our
> structural plans.  This has driven cost up and I have found
> that many developers are now more than ever rebuilding
> the same homes to remove the engineering cost.  Is there
> a standard for charging for duplication of plans or is the
> design itself considered the product and therefor not really
> subject to repeat charges?  More and more developers are
> asking for the orignals so they can make future sets.  Aren't
> future sets always required to be stamped and signed by the
> engineer of record?  I am pretty much kept out of the book-
> keeping portion of the company, but it sometimes worries
> me just how far the liability will carry over.  Any comments would
> be greatly appreciated.
>
> Mark Pemberton, P.E.

Mark:

I don't think it's legal to use your set of prints or originals to build
the same houses at a different site, WITHOUT your wet stamp and consent
unless it's clearly defined in your contract.  First of all, any set of
plans will require an engineer or architect's stamp to obtain a building
permit.  Your plan shall also have a site address and I will not stamp
my original plans that are submitted to the owner, just stamp & sign the
bluelines.  If you find out your plan were being used with your name on
it without your consent, you should sue them. Of couse, always consult
with your attorney before taking any action.

Regards,

Tom Chiu, SE