Periodic Special Inspection

The Inspection Practices Committee of the Structural Engineers Association
of Southern California (IPC of SEAOSC) is currently trying to prepare for
the April ICC meeting.  We need input as to the definition of Periodic
Special Inspection and suppose it should be discipline specific.

Rough Draft for Structural Masonry:
Periodic Inspection shall be performed when specified, as minimums:
1.      At the start of and during each inspection of the project to
ascertain proposed         conformity of  materials, personnel
qualifications, as required, and procedures         with the applicable
codes, plans and specifications,
2.      During the construction of prisms and molding of samples,
3.      Prior to the placement of grout to ensure wall reinforcement
compliance,
4.      During the placement of grout,
5.      At such frequency as necessary to clearly confirm the placement of
ties, hoops,          stirrups, connections, and any additional specified
reinforcement (ie @                 openings, beams, corners, columns,
piers, and caissons) before they are covered.

Rough Draft for Reinforced Concrete:
Periodic Inspection shall be performed when specified, as minimums:
1.      At the start of and during each inspection of the project to
ascertain proposed         conformity of  materials, personnel
qualifications, as required, and procedures         with the applicable
codes, plans and specifications,
2.      Reinforcement verification prior to the placement of concrete,
3.      During the placement of concrete,
4.      During the molding, construction or taking of compression samples,
beams, cores          or panels,
5.      At such frequency as necessary to clearly confirm the placement of
ties, hoops,          stirrups, connections, and any additional specified
reinforcement (ie @                 openings, beams, corners, columns,
piers, and caissons) before they are         covered.

Rough Draft for Structural Steel:
Periodic Inspection shall be performed when specified, as minimums:
1.      At the start of and during each inspection of the project to
ascertain proposed         conformity of  materials, personnel
qualifications and procedures with the              applicable codes, plans
and specifications,
2.

THIS IS WHAT WE'VE GOT SO FAR.

R. Sandy Pringle       STRUCTURAL INSPECTION CONSULTANTS Inc.
sandyp(--nospam--at)sic-inc.com 	 (800)598-1970    Fax(310)376-5294
http://www.sic-inc.com	 Hermosa Beach & Redondo Beach, CA

It is not only for what we do that we are held responsible,
but also for what we do not do. -Moliere