RE: duplication of plans

I second your concerns Dennis!  When SEAOC began working on the
conventional construction provisions, one of our biggest oponents was the
National Homebuilders Association.  Their standard comment was "we don't
see the level of damage that is being discussed."  Additionally, their
comments also included the unnecessary increase in cost reducing the
ability of people to afford housing.

This then adds to the concept that politically you can not require
strengthening or retrofit of single family residences.  The net result is
the Federal government paying $372,432,868 of taxpayer money to provide
temporary housing to 114,000 households after Northridge.

I wish I knew the right answer to address the problem once and for all.