RE: pier design

Well, I think that you CAN come up with "springs" as supports using the P-Y Method (which LPILE does), but the trick with the springs is that they are not linear.

In the past, I have been concerned with interaction not only of the PILE with the soil, but the entire structural system (including the columns, superstructure, AND the pile/soil).  So I set up a spreadsheet which used P-Y curve construction equations, which I got from the book "Pile Foundations in Engineering Practice" by Prakash and Sharma.

I assumed initial spring constants, ran a STAAD-III model, took the displacements at the springs, and used them to obtain NEW spring constants, reanalyzed, ad nauseum.

You converge to a "solution" fairly quickly in that case, and the spring constants are "linear," but you end up with a "secant modulus" that yields the same deflected shape of the pile (and, coincidentally, also takes into account the interaction of the structure as well.