Re: duplication of plans

I'm not sure how much of this expense relates to conventionally framed
homes.  I can tell you that part of it is from apartment buildings.  The
point I was making is that all of these homes were damaged in areas that
SEAOC and all of us have been talking about for some time.   Issues like
using stucco for shear panels; shear panels which are too short; 1/2" sill
bolts at 6'-0" on center.  Then we can get to the apartment buildings.  The
apartment building issues have been addressed by the City of Los Angeles in
Division 93.

The real question here is if you are going to live in "earthquake country"
or "hurricane country", or whatever, how much risk should the owner assume
for the property they own.  Further, if the owner accepts the level of risk
within the area and does nothing to see that their property is protected,
should the American taxpayer be responsible for providing temporary shelter
while their home is repaired?  In the political arena this is a definate
rhetorical question.