Re: Email Standards

Dennis S. Wish wrote:

> To the members of this list:
> I have received some comments, as well as complaints about reception of
> email from the list that containes embedded format codes.
> Newer Email editors write and read Rich (HTML) formated text which, I
> believe, is also Mime Compliant. This causes a problem with members who are
> using older software that do not support this format.
> This may be a continuing problem until owners of older software upgrade.

[...]

> Should we encourage others to upgrade to the most current versions of their
> software?

At some point, folks should be willing either to upgrade their software or to live with the consequences if they don't want
to.  HTML-format email software has been available for quite some time now, and best of all, it's available for FREE in the
form of Microsoft's Internet Explorer and now Netscape's Communicator.

I don't think a list like this should immediately jump on any new technology as soon as it emerges, but after some reasonable
amount of time new formats that have gained wide acceptance in the rest of the computer world should be acceptable here, too.
Nobody should be forced to upgrade, but neither should the whole community be forced to remain at the level of the lowest
common denominator forever.

We all know engineers who pride themselves on never upgrading anything.  They brag about still running DOS software on 286
computers.  Hey, that's just fine, and more power to them if they want to put up with the hassles of dealing with that stuff.
But better, easier to use technologies abound these days.  If a guy wants to continue doing his laundry by beating it on a
rock, fine, but he shouldn't insist that the rest of us can't use washing machines because of it. :-)

Nigel