Re: Email Standards, MIME, HTML Mail, RTF etc.

Dennis,

Although you asked this question of Nigel, I would like to put in my 2 cents
here.

MIME (Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions) is a standardized method for
organizing divergent file formats. The method organizes file formats according
to the file's MIME type.

It's what you Browser and E-Mail reader use to keep track of plug-ins, files,
graphic images, etc.

HTML uses short tags (source text enclosed in angle brackets) to designate a
page's links and graphical elements. When you transmit a page, a HTML browser or
E-Mail reader interprets the HTML tags and presents them as links and other
graphical elements.

When an ASCII E-mail reader opens the document it sees the source text and angle
brackets as literal characters.  Can be very hard to read.

I suspect that when you produced your Word HTML it linked to the Graphics
instead of imbeddeding the file.  My preferred word processor does essentially
the same thing.  I simply embed the graphic image instead of linking.

RTF, Rich Text Format, has, I believe, become abandoned technology.

Now for your question.  I think that for E-Mail, HTML is the way to go.  It has
stood the test of time and has become a component of most Internet Packages and
all browsers.  Those who don't upgrade risk falling behind.  Not just on this
list server, but on all Internet applications.  There are several HTML compliant
packages.  The best, IMHO is Netscape Navigator.  It is my personal favorite.
There are several packages available.  Try looking at www.cnet.com or
www.download.com and search for browsers.  You'll be surprised by the acutal
number available.

For complicated documents, why not use Adobe, or my favorite, Envoy, (Tumbleweed
Software)  The .PDF or .ENV file could be attached to an HTML or ASCII document
and then opened by the user with either a plug-in or stand alone reader.  The
reader's are free from both Adobe and Tumbleweed.

Envoy is simple.  Just select the print driver, print, and you have a file for
transmission.  Don't use Adobe so I not that familiar, but anticipate that it is
also simple.  I know from past post that you like Adobe.

Arvel L. Williams, P.E.