Wood

I recently sat through a seminar on the 1997 UBC and the speaker
mentioned the problems that occurred after the Northridge EQ.  Are there
referances and publications that deal mostly with the problems noticed
with conventional wood framing? I am interested in getting references to
the problems that occurred with sill plate anchor bolts and tiedowns.

Also, did the homes engineered for lateral forces handle the earthquake
better than  the homes designed by the prescriptive design chapter in
the UBC?