Re: Email Standards

In a message dated 98-03-09 14:08:38 EST, scaldwell(--nospam--at)halff.com write:

> Here is my two cents from Texas on the issue of HTML email.  I VOTE
>  AGAINST HTML.  Many of us are HTML-challenged.  It's not just the poor
>  AOL folks, or those that are unwilling to upgrade their email clients.
>  In the corporate world, you use the corporate email system, whether you
>  like it or not.

I second Stan's vote, and for another reason:  I suspect many folks on this
listserv don't have, or need, macho hardware and the most recent versions of
software to do their work.  We aren't designers who run large cad or fem
programs.  We get along adequately with standard e-mail and don't need the
latest capabilities, wrinkles and add-ins in the communcations area.  On the
few occasions when a capability is needed and not available, work-arounds are
almost always possible.  By not chasing the will-o'-the-wisp goal of staying
state-of-the-art, we not only avoid having to constantly pay for, install and
futz around with new stuff, we also avoid the time needed to learn the new
versions and their new bugs and work-arounds.  For many folks, the energy and
resources can be put to better use.  For 90+% of the tasks that  we use pc's
for, hardware and software of a couple of generations back are perfectly
adequate.  Office 95 came with my 3-year old pc, and I've yet to need or use
as much as half of the features and capabilities.  Needless to say, I've not
"upgraded' to Office 97.

It would be a mistake to freeze out listserv subscribers who can make
contributions to the work of the VSC or future virtual committees, but who
don't have the 'right stuff' in their systems configurations.  The lowest
common denominator possible should be the standard.

Frank Lew, SE
Orinda, CA