Re: Landslide -Reply

Ernie,
You stated/asked:
"I  also remember a new  L.A. City Code requirement with heavy,
continuous and deep footings at the portion of the house sitting on
bedrock which at first I thought was too conservative. Would this new
code requirement  that came about after the Northridge Earthquake help
keep the house from sliding downhill?"

The new Los Angeles requirements for deeper grade/tie beams between
poured-in-pace concrete caissons is to help prevent sloughing of the
topsoil near the structure. Large uphill (and possibly offsite) failures
require slough protection walls. IF you have enough money you can build
a fortress or move the hill. You may be surprised what some of our
wealthy do!

Regards,

Tim McCormick, P.E
City of Los Angeles