Caissionse

To All:

We are designing a USD$400 million airport in Manila.  The foundation
system will be caissions bored into natural bedrock is about 3m.  The
existing ground above the bedrock has a large amount a expansive
properties.  Therefore we are using a structural slab system for thr
first level of a five level airport.  The distancd to the bedrock from
level 1 varies from 1/2m to 2-1/2m.  The structural slab is a two-way
flat plate with drop panels, the thickness of the slab is 300mm (12").

The UBC94 code is concerned, Section 1807.2,  states that we will need
tie beams for our caisson foundation scheme. The code states that:

Individual pile caps and caissons of every structure subjected to
seismic forces shall be interconnected by ties. Such ties shall be
capable of resisting, in tension or compression, a minimum horizontal
force equal to 10 percent of the larger column vertical load.

EXCEPTION: Other approved methods may be used where it can be
demonstrated that equivalent restraint can be provided.

I think that the flat slab alone on level 1 could meet the above
restraint requirement mentioned above? What do you think? Please comment
on this. Does anybody have any feedback.

Best Regards

Tom Long
PCI Asia