Re: Landslide -Reply

Ernie :

I dont know the specifics of this house but it WAS and IS common practice in
this city to design 24"ø caissons with 4#5 vertical and #3 ties every
once in a while even when the soil report calls for 1000 psf of downhill
lateral pressure.
Compare that to the caissons we design and you will understand why we are
not popular around here. ( freeway overpass, 10 lb s--- in a 5 lb bag  etc
etc , I heard it all.)
I believe it can be done,it is not cheap, but it works.

Tarek Mokhtar
consulting engineer