Re: General business que

Kate,

Billing for learning;  that is a good question.

The way that I look at it is if the project (or part of the project) is
unique and that I probably would *never* encounter that aspect in a good
number of years, I would advise the client that *research* needs to be done
and that would be billed on an hourly basis in addition to any other fee,
fixed or not to exceed.  However, if the results of the learning are reusable
within a short period of time, or, that I feel that I *should* have known the
material, then I would consider the time spent *learning* as overhead and not
bill the client.

I know that billable hours are a problem; that it is virtually impossible to
bill for more than 1,000 hours a year, no matter how busy you are.  In
addition, we, as engineers, are always overly optimistic in estimates of the
time that it would take to do a project, therefore, we *rarely* figure the
correct number of hours a project would take.

Therefore, I would say that most "learning" hours should be "chalked up to
experience,"  like many other unpleasant things.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona