Re: x brace question

Glauco wrote:

> For in-plane use k=0.5, if one of the braces is tensioned and the other is
compressed.  If both are compressed use k=1.0. <

I don't agree (if we are talking about axial loads only in the braces) -
first, under what circumstances would both braces of an x-braced system be
in
compression?  But even if so, while both could buckle out-of-plane, the
axial
strength of one will provide adequate stiffness against in-plane buckling of
the other.

(Note: in my previous post, I should have referred to "in-plane buckling"
rather than "in-plane forces".)