Re: General business -- billing

In a message dated 98-03-11 12:43:19 EST, Roger Turk writes:

<< I know that billable hours are a problem; that it is virtually impossible
 bill for more than 1,000 hours a year, no matter how busy you are.  In
 addition, we, as engineers, are always overly optimistic in estimates of the
 time that it would take to do a project, therefore, we *rarely* figure the
 correct number of hours a project would take.

 Therefore, I would say that most "learning" hours should be "chalked up to
 experience,"  like many other unpleasant things >>

I'm with you, but I thought I'd point out that most of my lawyer friends are
REQUIRED to bill 1800 plus hours a year.  They definitely bill for "learning
time."  Apparently they also bill for eating time, sleeping time, and some
other time to boot.

In addition, they bill at twice to three times engineering rates!  Engineers
shouldn't worry about billing learning time.  In fact, they shouldn't think in
terms of time anyway.  They should bill based on the market and the value of
the service they provide.  Amen.

Also, thanks very much for your comments re: bridging floor joists.  If it's
two percent of axial compression in columns, what's the analogous number for
beams?  And is the "sharing" of load the difference in definition of bridging
vs. blocking? (I had thought they were interchangeable terms.)