Re: General business --

Brian Veit wrote:

. > Also, thanks very much for your comments re: bridging floor joists.  If
. > it's two percent of axial compression in columns, what's the analogous
. > number for beams? And is the "sharing" of load the difference in
. > definition of bridging vs. blocking? (I had thought they were
. > interchangeable terms.)

Brian,

At the point where I plan to install diagonal bridging, I take the area of
the compressive stress block, which is the compressive force in the joist,
and take 2% of that as the horizontal force to be resisted by diagonal
bridging, and design the bridging to take the component in the direction of
the bridging.  This isn't for load sharing --- it is to prevent lateral
buckling of otherwise unsupported compression edges of floor joists and it
doesn't determine the spacing of the bridging.

Blocking vs. Bridging?  I tend to think of blocking as full depth solid
blocking and [diagonal] bridging as the x-braces between floor joists, but
I'm willing to call anything anybody wants, as long as both of us have
the same thing in mind.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona