RE: removing partition walls:

At 05:16 PM 3/11/98 -0800, Dennis Wish wrote:
>This is an interesting question because it assumes that the original
>structure was desiged with consideration to the interior partitions to
>resist shear. I would doubt that to be the case unless you can verify the
>connection of the interior partition which was removed to check it's
>connection to both the foundation and roof (or floor diaphragm) above.

>My guess is that if the interior wall is gypsum or plaster, it was not
>considered in the lateral analysis - if one was even performed. I would
>assume that, if shear was checked, the shear transfers would occur at the
>exterior partitions. Therefore, I might disregard the interior partitions as
>being anthing but dampers for the diaphragm.

I would be carefull here. In the mid eighties I worked for a structural
engineering firm
in which gypsum shear walls were used quite a lot. especially in large
development
projects.

Also the interior gypsum walls will act to dampen the acceleration of the
structure during a seismic event and they provide a certain amount
of redunant shear resistance.

John Buchanan