Re: removing partition walls:

John Buchanan wrote:

> At 05:16 PM 3/11/98 -0800, Dennis Wish wrote:
> >This is an interesting question because it assumes that the original
> >structure was desiged with consideration to the interior partitions to
> >resist shear. I would doubt that to be the case unless you can verify the
> >connection of the interior partition which was removed to check it's
> >connection to both the foundation and roof (or floor diaphragm) above.
>
> >My guess is that if the interior wall is gypsum or plaster, it was not
> >considered in the lateral analysis - if one was even performed. I would
> >assume that, if shear was checked, the shear transfers would occur at the
> >exterior partitions. Therefore, I might disregard the interior partitions as
> >being anthing but dampers for the diaphragm.
>
> I would be carefull here. In the mid eighties I worked for a structural
> engineering firm
> in which gypsum shear walls were used quite a lot. especially in large
> development
> projects.

Most of the subterranean parking structure with 3 or 4 story wood framed
apartments that was built in the 80's, usually considered interior
drywalls as shear walls, even for nonbearing interior walls. I would
make sure that shear blocking do not exist before calling that wall as
non-shear wall.  Some older houses (say before 70's) did not have any
shear blockings at all, whether it's shear walls or non-shear walls,
they only rely on toe nails of the joists to the top plate of the walls.

Tom Chiu, SE