RE: removing partition walls:

In Tom's example I would agree since most multiresidential structures were
designed and, as he indicated, gypsum was a qualified shear material. In
single family residences, I would recommend checking the connection above
and below before assuming it is not a shearwall - however, my experience
with inspections done after Northridge is that most single family dwellings
without a plan irregularity balanced their shear in the exterior walls -
more in keeping with Conventional framing standards.
A quick climb into the attic space can answer many of these questions.

Dennis Wish PE