Re: Coring concrete slab

Hi Bill,

Since I've been one of those that has been lurking, I'll give my two-cents
worth this time on the 25 kip holdown force.

The force is very high, but it is what I've been seeing on these three-story
residential wood projects that I've been working on as the concrete post-
tensioned deck design engineer.  It's more typical now that the architects are
coming up with bigger windows and not much wall and, of course, the owners
like the look and the ability to sale/rent these, now consider, high class
units.  Basically, it is all governed by money and public preference. It is
definitely nice to see the revised code section in the 1997 UBC in regards to
height-to-width ratio for these shearwalls.

Julia Chen, P.E.
Watry Design Group
San Mateo