Re: Coring in concrete slabs

We have had very good success here using the "Ferroscan" device sold by HILTI.
Someone reasonably competent in understanding concrete rebar drawings and using this
device can accurately map the embedded rebar almost 100% of the time.  Of course
bars on the side of the slab opposite from where the drilling will start will need
to be transferred to the drilling side using reference dimensions or some other
method.  We have even had reasonable success in detecting embedded pipes, conduits,
etc. (providing that they are magnetic) as long as they are near surface
(approximately 6 to 8 inches from the surface).

Thomas F. Joos
Broookhaven National Laboratory
Building 120
Upton, NY 11973
joos(--nospam--at)zodiac.nov.hfbr.bnl.gov
(516) 344-7707