RE: Landslide

>Generally the soils engineers recommend a minimum of a twelve inch
>>diameter pier with four number four bars and #3 ties at varied spacing.
>
>Whoa!  When did geotechs start specifying concrete reinforcement?  Where
>did they get that expertise?

They ,in fact were smart enough to form their own captive professional
liability insurance company!! We should consider following their example on
that.
Some of the soils engineers that I've worked with are also liscensed
structural engineers but they are few and far between. They generally
possess doctorates and can charge accordingly. Generally, we look for soil
capacities, recommended tieba k anchorage locations ..etc but do all our own
struc tural work.
Norb Volny, PE