OC Dinner Meeting - March, 1998

Last night, I attended the Orange County SEAOSC dinner meeting, a biennial experience for me. While I do not consider having dinner with a hundred structural engineers a social event, it gives me the opportunity to have dinner with a colleague and a dear friend of mine whom I don't see often enough.

The main presentation was titled "Tilt-Up Building Design" and was presented by Mr. Francis Lo of KLT Consulting Structural Engineers. The presentation was very enjoyable and informative in that Mr. Lo, who obviously has extensive experience in the design of tilt-up buildings, shared some of his insight into "design traps" and significant detailing considerations that may/do not appear in traditional text books and building codes. Throughout Mr. Lo's presentation, he often shared opinions about the construction cost impact of various design solutions including the impact of new code provisions.

Near the end of Mr. Lo's presentation, he attempted to compare the impact of the 1997 UBC on the design of tilt-up buildings. While Mr. Lo had previously stated that he had not totally digested the complete inference of the code, he made a gallant attempt to display the differences between the 1994 UBC (w/1996 amendments) and the 1997 code.

During Mr. Lo's description of the changes in the wall tie provisions, he was interrupted by Bob Bachman of Flour Daniel who was sitting at the head table. Mr. Bachman boisterously stated that Mr. Lo was incorrect in the implication that there was significant changes in the wall tie force between the 1997 UBC and the 1994 UBC (w/1996 amendments). I thought this interruption was very distracting and rude to the presenter. After the dialog, it appeared that Mr. Lo (as well as myself) had a difficult time getting back to the subject.

Now, for my opinions...

Regards,
Bill Allen