Re:Plastic moment capacity of concrete filled steel pipes

I would like to know a reliable reference to estimate plastic moment capacity
of concrete filled steel pipe and detailing requirements.

I am reviewing a sope stabilization design where 8" dia. steel pipes
(Fy=50ksi) filled with f'c=5000 psi concrete are proposed.  There is no
reinforcing inside the pipe nor any provision for shear transfer.  The
designer used capacity of both cocnrete and steel to estimate total plastic
moment capacity claiming that for small diameter pipes this is the way things
are done - on Caltrans projects.  I do not do work for Caltrans and not too
familiar with bridge projects.

I would appreciate comments and references on this subject.

Thanks!

Anand Nene, S. E.