Re: Landslide

> John Buchanan wrote:
>
> . > Generally the soils engineers recommend a minimum of a twelve inch
> . > diameter pier with four number four bars and #3 ties at varied spacing.

I hope this is only a rotten apple and not common practice in the field
of caisson design.  The only place where I specify #3 rebar is for
slab-on-grade. #4 vertical bars in 24-inch caisson are out of proportion
anyway, if one draw it to scale, it will look stupid.  Whoever that soil
engineer is, his(her) license should be taken away.

Tom Chiu, SE
Thomas Engineering