California State Employees' Initiative

I've been reading a lot lately about the initiative proposed for the
ballot by California state employees that would require consultants
responding to RFPs for work for state agencies to compete on price to
get the work.  Last I knew, this intiative was slated for the June, 1998
ballot.

As I understand it, the discussion has gotten, shall we say, rather
warm.  I'd like to hear some folks' thoughts.

Nigel