RE: Landslide

>I practice geotech, and on occasion have recommended minimum steel and
>concrete diameters, especially with laterally loaded drilled shaft concrete
>piles.  I don't hold my self out to be a structural engineer, however, I
>feel confident that I can design foundation systems.

If you don't hold yourself out to be a structural engineer, then you
have no business recommending concrete reinforcement!  If you promise
>not to practice structural, we'll promise not to practice geotechnical.
>
>Many structural engineers appreciate a geotech solving the lateral load case
>with soil-strucute interaction.  On the other hand, some engineers just want
>the design criteria, which from a liability standpoint is just fine with
>me.  Actually, either case is fine by me.

Soil-structure interaction is within the domain of the geotech, but
concrete reinforcement is not.

>> Let my words be sweet and tender today,
>> for I may have to eat them tomorrow!
>>                                         ...anonymous
>
>Hmm, will you have the white or red wine with your previous post.
>
>Arvel L. Williams, P.E.

Arvel:

My words are still as sweet and tender as when they were first posted,
so I am not yet hungry.  Also, not being in California, I would pass up
the wine for a good old Shiner Bock!

Stan Caldwell, P.E.
Dallas, Texas

The more you run over a dead cat,