Re: OC Dinner Meeting - March, 1998

Unfortunately, it is not at all easy to address the problem.  As I see it,
we have two problems which have lead to a convoluted code:  1)  new code
provisions are written not to the engineer or building official but to take
care of the lawyer; and 2) we live in a society where there is a free
market on products, the code bodies can not "eliminate products" or become
much more stringent on their use with the potential of being accused of
restricting fair trade.

When writing code one's ultimate goal is to write a provision which is
simple, clear, and easily understood.  Ideally, you do not want to leave
anything open to interpretation (especially from a lawyer).  Some time try
to write a code provision on some complicated issue.  As you write the
provision make sure that it is fully understood by everyone and covers
every possible condition.

When your done, put on the listserver for everyone to review.  If the
listserve agrees 100% with what has been written, we will have found the
person to clean up the code!!!!!!!