Re: Landslide

It appears to me the geotech is providing design requirements for a
foundation which will provide a reasonabe degree of safety for the
structure.  Your concern about designing an economical foundation system so
the "owner does not pour all their money into the foundation" is a
reasonable concern.  However, remember that the owner chose to place the
house on that site.  Prior to purchasing the lot the owner should have
gotten some help to explain the problems associated with building on the
lot.

A very good friend of mine once reminded me that "you can't clean up after
God!"  My advice is to take the time to explain the recommendations to the
client, including why all the criteria for cracking, settlement, etc.  Let
your client make an informed choice based on the potential risks.