Brick Masonry

I am looking for a good, clear, technical definition of "spalling" of brick
including potential causes, failure modes, and characteristics which would
distinguish spalling from other brick masonry related problems.

Also, if anyone knows of any good references on the subject, such as from
the Brick Institute of America (BIA) or brick manufacturers.  I would
appreciate your forwarding the information or providing direction on where
I can find it.

Thanks!

Lorenzo