RE: Truck loading

For an HS20 truck the heaviest axle is 32k (16k/wheel).
The minimum axle spacing is 14'.  Remember however
that this is a fake truck - it is used for design only.
Keep in mind also that some jurisdictions, for instance
the Alameda Corridor Transportation Authority, require
designing for HS25.  This requires factoring the HS20
load by 1.25 (25/20).

For short spans, the alternate military load will usually
govern over HS loads.  This is two axles 4' apart, each
24k(12k/wheel).

The California Permit Truck has a maximum axle
weight of 48k.  This is a tandem axle but is idealized
as a single point load.  These axles are spaced 18' oc.

Caltrans Bridge Design Specifications (BDS) requires that
HS and Military loads be considered with regard
to serviceability, while the Permit loads only need
to be evaluated for strength.

Refer to the Caltrans BDS has provisions for determining
the effective width of slab available for resisting the
wheel loads.  These provisions are similar those in the
AASHTO ASD and LFD.  The AASHTO LRFD is
substantially different.