Re: Landslide

Caldwell, Stan wrote:

> >I practice geotech, and on occasion have recommended minimum steel and
> >concrete diameters, especially with laterally loaded drilled shaft concrete
> >piles.  I don't hold my self out to be a structural engineer, however, I
> >feel confident that I can design foundation systems.
> >
> If you don't hold yourself out to be a structural engineer, then you
> have no business recommending concrete reinforcement!

Well we better tear out all of the road, culverts, water treament facilities and
misc. constructs designed by plain jane Civil Engineers.  They have exceed their
area of expertise and put in reinforcing steel without passing the SE exam.

>  If you promise
> >not to practice structural, we'll promise not to practice geotechnical.

Then you won't be asking for a specific number of borings and/or tests on your
next project?  You will allow the geotechs to provide you with investigation
parameters based on their experience in the area?

> >Many structural engineers appreciate a geotech solving the lateral load case
> >with soil-strucute interaction.  On the other hand, some engineers just want
> >the design criteria, which from a liability standpoint is just fine with
> >me.  Actually, either case is fine by me.
>
> Soil-structure interaction is within the domain of the geotech, but
> concrete reinforcement is not.

Not according to the Board of Registration in Oklahoma.  I'm a P.E. in Civil.  I
would not try to design a three story metal frame building (yet) but our firm did
design the foundations for several towers, signs, and monuments.  Some the
request of the AOR or EOR as a sub.

> >> *************************************************
> >> Let my words be sweet and tender today,
> >> for I may have to eat them tomorrow!
> >>                                         ...anonymous
> >> *************************************************
> >
> >Hmm, will you have the white or red wine with your previous post.
> >
> >Arvel L. Williams, P.E.
>
> Arvel:
>
> My words are still as sweet and tender as when they were first posted,
> so I am not yet hungry.  Also, not being in California, I would pass up
> the wine for a good old Shiner Bock!
>
> Stan Caldwell, P.E.
> Dallas, Texas

Stan,Cross the Red River, the brews at the Bricktown Brewery in Oklahoma City are
fairly good.  Besides, I have developed a rather high regard for some of your
posts.  Let's agree to disagress on this issue.

Arvel L. Williams, P.E.