Re: Truck loading

Tom:
I am assuming that you are designing a box culvert from your discription of
the structure.

You can get the CALTRANS Standard Plans of the internet at the following
address:

 http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/esc/projplan/ppintro.htm.

The standard plans are available in Autocad, Microstation, metric and english
flavors and are compressed with PKZIP.  You will want drawing D80 (Single box
culvert), D81 (Double Box Culvert), D82 (Misc. Details & Design Criteria) and
D88 (Shoring).  Designs are for 0' to 10' and 10' to 20' of earth cover for
the span that you indicated.  After reviewing the design criteria indicated on
drawing D82 you may find that the standard detail is adequate.  Note that the
highway box culverts are not designed for the alternate military loading
(2-24kip rear axiles) nor permit loadings.  The CALTRANS Bridge Practice
Manual has a section on culverts that helps clarify their design method and
references the CALTRANS Bridge Design Specifications that Neil noted in reply
to your to your post.

If you need additional info, I can fax you what you need from my office if you
provide clearer discription of the structure.  Contact me by EMail:
rconley(--nospam--at)spl.usace.army.mil

Bob Conley, PE
USACE, Los Angeles