Re: O.C. Dinner Meeting

To: Readers of SEAOC list server:

I read several message related to questions on the Tilt Up subject
presented at the Orange County meeting. Since I did not attend the O.C.
Meeting, I was not sure what the question was. It seems that the
question had to do with the fact that the Building Code has become more
complicated. The solution rest on you - our membership!

Having been involved in both the SEAOC Building Code and SEAOC
Seismology Committees a decade ago, I believe many more volunteers and
input from the memebership are needed in each of the standing committee,
particularly in Southern California area. As you know, all committee
meetings are open to the membership. Even if you are not a voting member
of the committee, I assure you, comments and suggestions can be
addressed to the committee. I encourage chair-persons of all committees
and subcommittees post their meeting dates and agenda on the listserver
in the coming months.

The SEAOSC Policies on Organization and Duties for Committees are
explicit regarding the formation of each standing committee. Each
standing committee must maintain a balance of voting members between the
private practice, building departments and industry representatives. I
urge chair-persons of each committee make all attempts to adhere to this
long standing policy.

As many of you know, the 1st Draft of the International Building Code
2000 has been published since November 1997. If you are a member of
IBCO, you may request a copy free of charges while the supply last.
Although deadline for proposed changes was due on January 5, 1998, the
public hearings will be scheduled for the last two weeks in April, 1998.
Please do convey your concerns to your local committee chairs. You must,
however, be prepared to write a logical proposed change to specific code
section(s)and the corresponding reason. The following are the current
SEAOSC standing committee chair-persons:

	Building Code Committee - Douglas Thompson
	SeismologyCommittee     - Saif Hussain
	Existing Building Comm  - Richard Hess
	Reasearch Committee     - Nazih Gunal

In addition to the four standing committes, an Ad Hoc Committee on Steel
is jointly chaired by Peter Maranian and Yeunan Chou. Contact Nob Lyons
at (213)484-8950 for meeting time.

James S. Lai, Chair
SRCE (Steering) Committee