1997 UBC

     I have read with interest the comments about the recent Orange County
     Dinner Meeting and the 1997 UBC provisions and offer the following for
     thoughts.

     1) It is discourteous and unprofessional to "bad mouth" a fellow
     Engineer on this server, especially if that individual is not a
     member.

     2) The 1997 UBC was not written by any one individual.  It was written
     by the State Seismology Committee, whose membership include
     representatives from all 4 SEAOC sections.  This occurred over a three
     year cycle, each year with new committee heads.  The 1997 UBC
     provisions reflect the diligent effort of hundreds of our fellow
     Engineers, many of which participate on this server.  The code
     provisions written by SEAOC still had to be approved by ICBO
     membership.

     3) All committee meetings are open for any member of the general
     public to attend.  Meeting notes are posted on the SEAOC list server
     for those unable to attend.

     4) If you don't vote in an public election, you have lost the right to
     complain about the winner.  If you don't participate in the committee
     process ...

     5) Those of us who believe that the 1997 UBC provisions have strayed
     from "easy-to-use" to "requires a short course to explain" should take
     the opportunity to participate in the 2000 IBC process, possibly
     through participation in a SEAOC committee.  Details of the IBC
     process have been offered on the list server by Franklin Lew, Thomas
     Hunt, and others.

     6) Yes, Dennis, we do have cocktails at the Orange County dinner
     meeting before the program.

     Rick Drake, SE
     Fluor Daniel, Inc