RE: 1997 UBC

From:	Rick.Drake(--nospam--at)fluordaniel.com [SMTP:Rick.Drake(--nospam--at)fluordaniel.com]
Sent:	Monday, March 16, 1998 4:08 AM
To:	seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
Subject:	1997 UBC

     I have read with interest the comments about the recent Orange County
     Dinner Meeting and the 1997 UBC provisions and offer the following for
     thoughts.

     1) It is discourteous and unprofessional to "bad mouth" a fellow
     Engineer on this server, especially if that individual is not a
     member.
[Bill Allen, S.E. ALLEN DESIGNS]
However, no less discourteous than the conduct the "fellow Engineer" presented at the dinner meeting. I certainly don't like "talking behind someone's back. Feel free to pass my original post to Bob if he does not participate on this listserv.

     2) The 1997 UBC was not written by any one individual.  It was written
     by the State Seismology Committee, whose membership include
     representatives from all 4 SEAOC sections.  This occurred over a three
     year cycle, each year with new committee heads.  The 1997 UBC
     provisions reflect the diligent effort of hundreds of our fellow
     Engineers, many of which participate on this server.  The code
     provisions written by SEAOC still had to be approved by ICBO
     membership.
[Bill Allen, S.E. ALLEN DESIGNS]
However, the State Seismology Committee consists of individuals who should be accountable to the professionals who have to interpret the code provisions. By reducing the responsibility to an inanimate object deflects the blame.

     3) All committee meetings are open for any member of the general
     public to attend.  Meeting notes are posted on the SEAOC list server
     for those unable to attend.
[Bill Allen, S.E. ALLEN DESIGNS]
This is not very well maintained nor are proposed code provisions maintained at the site. While I realize this effort is provided by voluntary energies, a dialog would improve if this area were maintained better.

     4) If you don't vote in an public election, you have lost the right to
     complain about the winner.  If you don't participate in the committee
     process ...
[Bill Allen, S.E. ALLEN DESIGNS]
If I had to drive to Whittier and sit through an hour and a half meeting several times, I probably wouldn't vote either. I can vote locally (within a mile of my home) or by absentee ballot. Should SEAOC embrace Virtual Committee participation, I am fairly certain that you would see more participation.

I regularly get a publication from ICBO about proposed code changes. It would be great if these issues were presented and discussed on either this listserv or the SEAOSC website moderated by the appropriate committee chair.

You must have graduated from the "Frank Lew School of How to Get Things Done" :o)

Speaking of voting, it would be nice if prospective candidates of SEAOC would put their position papers on the SEAOSC website so that members could evaluate their choices.

     5) Those of us who believe that the 1997 UBC provisions have strayed
     from "easy-to-use" to "requires a short course to explain" should take
     the opportunity to participate in the 2000 IBC process, possibly
     through participation in a SEAOC committee.  Details of the IBC
     process have been offered on the list server by Franklin Lew, Thomas
     Hunt, and others.
[Bill Allen, S.E. ALLEN DESIGNS]
See above.

     6) Yes, Dennis, we do have cocktails at the Orange County dinner
     meeting before the program.

     Rick Drake, SE
     Fluor Daniel, Inc

<<application/ms-tnef>>