Re: MBR Tie-Down System

Hope this works!

Subject: RE: MBR Tie-Down System

>Ron,
>I've seen a building in the Seattle area which is a five story condominium
>that suffered extensive exterior wall water intrusion because of some
>flashing and sealing issues around the windows.  When the General
>Contractor opened up some shear walls, he found the holdowns were loose.
> The threaded rods were pretty much sloppy in the stud bays.

The problem occurs even if you anchor floor by floor.  I have usually specified that the anchors be tightened regularly during construction (I never specifiy full buildng height anchor rods because of shrinkage) with a final turn and nut-locking immediately before closure.  By that time (often a number of months) I estimate less than 1% remaining shrinkage.  Over the depth of a floor (10" +/-) I figure the amount of slack will be minimal?  With TJM products there is almost no shrinkage.

Thor Tandy