SE Registration

Okay, I am hearing and reading conflicting information on becoming an
SE.
Can anyone give me the simple minimum requirements for taking the SE
exam?
Is it possible to get your SE without your PE?  I just received my PE
and my
boss asked if I was going to go ahead and get my SE (or at leaste start
the ball
rolling in that direction).  Don't you have to work for an SE for a
period of time
before you can apply for the exam?  Are there really that many
organizations
that require an SE to be the engineer of record?  I have only come
across one
(which ended up having us do the work anyway).  Does anyone know how to
keep
my wife from changing the sender name to her own?  Just another set of
questions
from the information hungry new guy.

Mark Pemberton, P.E.