Government Wisdom

---------- Forwarded Message ----------

From:	LoriAdaz, INTERNET:LoriAdaz(--nospam--at)aol.com
TO:	Glenn Peacock, INTERNET:peacock(--nospam--at)med.Stanford.EDU
	Brad Horak, INTERNET:Horak(--nospam--at)pa.dec.com
	Steve Oliphant, INTERNET:Oliphant(--nospam--at)TD2CAD.Intel.com
	(unknown), wildwoman1
DATE:	3/15/98 5:02 AM

RE:	Government Wisdom

Sender: CVASchmidt(--nospam--at)ACM.org
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 01:53:48 -0800
To: wildwoman1(--nospam--at)compuserve.com, Steve Oliphant <Oliphant(--nospam--at)TD2CAD.Intel.com>,
        Brad Horak <Horak(--nospam--at)pa.dec.com>,
        Glenn Peacock <peacock(--nospam--at)med.Stanford.EDU>
From: LoriAdaz <LoriAdaz(--nospam--at)aol.com> (by way of Christopher Schmidt)
Subject: Government Wisdom

Government Wisdom

Dakato tribal wisdom says that when you discover you are riding a
dead horse, the best strategies is to dismount.  However, in
government we often try other strategies with dead horses, including
the following:

 1.   Buying a stronger whip.
 2.   Changing riders.
 3.   Saying things like "This is the way we always have ridden this horse".
 4.   Appointing a committee to study the horse.
 5.   Arranging to visit other sites to see how they ride dead horses.
 6.   Increasing the standards to ride dead horses.
 7.   Appointing a Tiger team to revive the dead horse.
 8.   Creating a training session to increase our riding ability.
 9.   Comparing the state of dead horses in today's environment.
10.  Pass legislation declaring the "This dead horse is not dead".
11.  Blaming the horse's parents
12.  Harnessing several dead horses together for increased speed.
13.  Declaring that "No horse is too dead to beat".
14.  Providing additional funding to increase the horse's performance.
15.  Do a Cost Analysis to see if contractors can ride it cheaper.
16.  Procure a commercial design dead horse.
17.  Declare the horse is a "better, faster and cheaper" dead horse.
18.  Form a quality circle to find uses for dead horses.
19.  Revisit the performance requirements for horses.
20.  Say this horse was procured with cost as an independent variable.
21.  Study the horse farm on which the dead horse was born.
22.  Promote the dead horse to a supervisory position.