RE: '97 code seismic map arrived from ICBO

>From a engineer also struggling to figure this thing out I offer the
following comments.  The first thing to note is that the forces you have
calculated are ultimate strength, and not allowable stress design
forces.  If you are designing in timber, the seismic forces can be
scaled down by a factor of 1.4 per the load combinations in section
1612.3.1 or 1612.3.2, unless you are using LRFD for timber design.  The
load combinations for concrete can be per section 1928 provided the phi
factors from this section are also used.  These factors allow you to
have a uniform set of load combinations for LRFD design in concrete,
steel, and timber.  Something did get simpler!  In general the loads are
a little higher if you are not near the fault and a lot higher if you
are near the fault.  Things can really blow up if your rho factor goes
to 1.5, so spread your loads to multiple walls if you can.

Thomas Castle, S.E.