Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: SE Registration

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

I am also interested in the SE registration in the state of California. 
Who is BORPELS and how can I get a hold of them?  I am currently a CE in
the state of California, but am not currently working under the direct
supervision of an SE.  I have worked with and for an SE prior to obtaining
my CE, but not after.  In other words, have my last 3 years of engineering
experience with CE registered engineers only been a waste of time (assuming
my goal is to obtain an SE)?

> From: Richard_Ranous/OES(--nospam--at)
> To: seaoc(--nospam--at)
> Subject: Re: SE Registration
> Date: Tuesday, March 17, 1998 9:27 AM
> Mark,
> I am assuming you are talking about California Registration.  In order to
> qualify for the SE exam you must have your CE and have worked for three
> years under the direct supervision of a Structural Engineer.  If you do
> work under the direct supervision of an SE, you can contact BORPELS and
> request a waiver of this requirement.  The request does not automatically
> mean it will be granted.
> California law requires an SE to sign schools, hospitals, and high-rise
> structures.  Most others can be signed by a CE.  Additionally, some
> jurisdictions will require SE for certain types of work.