RE: LGSS - Partition Attachment

I have designed one or 2 of these in the past.  Basically you have a bent plate on each side of the studs.  Fasten the plates to the purlins and let them slide over the studs.  It becomes a bit more of a challenge if the wall is an area separation wall.  The fire safing must be compressible, and if you assume 50% compressibility then the joint space has to be twice the calculated deflection.

You might have to reinforce these plates at the purlins.  The 5 psf partition load is not much, but it is a lot when you have a tall wall.

Also don't forget to allow for the lateral drift of the building due to wind.  The end of the interior wall will hold while the building moves from side to side.  The safing issue can be the same here (twice the calculated lateral drift).  Unless you have a tight lateral drift spec. you will be amazed how much the building will move for even a 10 year wind.

One other caveat is to let the building manufacturer know what type of loads and lateral drift you can tolerate for stability and serviceability.  This is more of an issue in seismic areas with masonry walls.

Harold Sprague
Krawinkler, Luth & Assoc.
4412 W. Eisenhower Blvd.
Loveland, CO 80537