Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: SE Registration

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
BORPELS is the Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land
Surveyors.  They are part of the Consumer Affairs agency and are located in
Sacramento.  I do not have a phone number readily available for them.
Maybe someone out there does.

As for your experience--technically you must work 3 years under the direct
supervision of a California SE after you receive your CE.  However, BORPELS
and SEAOC (I believe) have established an interview process for those who
have the experience requirements but lack the references.  In your case you
would need to talk to BORPELS to see if the criteria for "working under the
direct supervision" of an SE can be waived.

 image moved   mike.brown(--nospam--at)                               
 to file:      03/17/98 12:49 PM                                  

Please respond to seaoc(--nospam--at)

To:   seaoc(--nospam--at)
cc:    (bcc: Richard Ranous/OES)
Subject:  Re: SE Registration

I am also interested in the SE registration in the state of California.
Who is BORPELS and how can I get a hold of them?  I am currently a CE in
the state of California, but am not currently working under the direct
supervision of an SE.  I have worked with and for an SE prior to obtaining
my CE, but not after.  In other words, have my last 3 years of engineering
experience with CE registered engineers only been a waste of time (assuming
my goal is to obtain an SE)?
> From: Richard_Ranous/OES(--nospam--at)
> To: seaoc(--nospam--at)
> Subject: Re: SE Registration
> Date: Tuesday, March 17, 1998 9:27 AM
> Mark,
> I am assuming you are talking about California Registration.  In order to
> qualify for the SE exam you must have your CE and have worked for three
> years under the direct supervision of a Structural Engineer.  If you do
> work under the direct supervision of an SE, you can contact BORPELS and
> request a waiver of this requirement.  The request does not automatically
> mean it will be granted.
> California law requires an SE to sign schools, hospitals, and high-rise
> structures.  Most others can be signed by a CE.  Additionally, some
> jurisdictions will require SE for certain types of work.

Attachment: PIC22621.PCX
Description: Binary data