Re: '97 code seismic map -- Questions, questions, questions

Bill Sherman writes: <<I recently compared the 1997 UBC requirements with the
1994 UBC requirements for a project in Seismic Zone 2B, and also found the
lateral coefficient to be much higher in 1997.>>

Will the year 2000 code follow the '97 seismic provisions, or will they be
entirely new (again) as some have suggested?

Is the fine tuning of the new code warranted with respect to the variability
of naturally occuring phenomena such as earthquakes?

Should we even bother to learn the '97 seismic provisions?

Brian Veit, P.E.