RE: Entire Engineering Community Freaking Out?

Fred,
I spoke with another member of SEAOSC who came to visit last weekend and
mentioned John Kariotis' statements in what I believe was the same article.
He was supposedly quoted (and I am paraphrasing since I had not read the
article) that the liklyhood of damage occuring to any particular building
was remote and dependent upon size, location, orientation of the seismic
event etc. He was quoted as saying something to the effect that the
earthquake mitigation programs were unnecessary.
Now, I can't believe that this was quoted from Kariotis - having seen John
in action many times. It would be much easier for me to believe that his
comments were taken out of context rather than the way they appeared in the
article.
If these comments were incorrectly reported, isn't SEAOC's and Seismic
Safety Commissions responsibility to insure that the a follow-up article is
published (possibly at the cost of SEAOC and SSC) to set the record straight
and keep rebuild the public trust that this reporter obviously did much to
destroy?
I believe that the news media has gotten out of hand - by creating news
rather than reporting it.

Dennis Wish PE

"Science may have found a cure for most evils; but it has found no remedy
for the worst of them all- the apathy of human beings."
Helen Keller