RE: Appropriateness

Nigel, you asked "Are we really all that thin-skinned that we can't ignore a
remark we don't like, or jump into the middle of it to say why we don't? "
Unfortunatly, the answer is yes.
Approximately thirty individuals make up the majority of comments that
proliferate our list. However, the resounding majority of those 150
individuals who responded to my survey felt that they were unable to do any
more than "Lurk" simply because of the strong opinions and fear of being
challenged by others who may not agree.
I, personally, don't feel that the tone or commentary on this list should be
moderated, but I must admit from these many responses that a large group of
professionals, for whatever reason, are reluctant to participate.
I like the ablity to debate and express strong opinons. There are times,
such as Bill's recent comments where I half-heartedly commented that I
wouldn't touch the argument with a ten foot pole, and probably, feared
starting a civil war and succumbing  the wrath of the Conservative Right.
Drew's comments were the words of intellegent and professional reason. For
the sake of those who have not had their chance to step upon this public
soapbox, I recommend that we stay away from Politics and Religion for a time
until we build upon a number of contributers that will dilute the arena a
bit.
Rather than focus on Politics, let's start productive questions, albeit
social ones, that drive our profession and encourage new voices to speak.

BTW, I read the President's Message (the SEAOSC President) in the SEAOSC
newsletter this afternoon. Manny indicated that we now have 7,000
participants on this listservice worldwide. After my recent study I think
this number is a bit inflated.
Manny was responding to SEAOC members after learning of growing concerns
expressed on our list. If the majority will allow, I would be happy to scan
and convert his editoral to a text file and attach it to a post. This way
non-SEA members can understand how our professional organization evolves.
I am pleased, however, that this is the first editorial published in SEAOSC
(for those unfamiliar Structural Engineers Association of Southern
California)that directly addresses the remarks of this listservice - one
step for - well you know the rest.
I'd like to see some remarks on Manny's editorial. Personally, I think Manny
Morden is a fine man and talented engineer. Manny has always appeared
supportive of my efforts within SEAOSC and I appreciate him for this. But in
this editorial, Manny came off sounding more like a used car salesman who
wanted to sell the car but not lift the hood. The substance was missing from
his argument and I found myself still wondering why we needed to fork out
the additional $10.00 per year in dues increases.

Anyone want to jump into this one?

Regards,
Dennis Wish PE

"Science may have found a cure for most evils; but it has found no remedy
for the worst of them all- the apathy of human beings."
Helen Keller