RE: SE Registration

Just out of curiosity.  Does a California license actually say "Licensed
Structural Engineer", "Licensed Civil Engineer", "Licensed Mechanical
Engineer"..etc?  Here in Oregon, our piece of paper just says that you
are "...registered as Professional Engineer,....especially qualified in
Civil Engineering" or ".....especially qualified in Structural
Engineering"...etc.  I believe that only those "qualified in Structural
Engineering" can use the title S.E.  We do need to pass the SE I and II
exam to get the "qualified in Structural Engineering".

How does this verbage stack up against codes that says "a person
authorized to practice structural engineering" vs. "designed by a
licensed Structural Engineer"?  If it's to be designed by a Licensed
Structural Engineer, then "technically", we really don't have
any.....we're all registered as P.E.'s.  If it's to be designed by
someone authorized to practise structural engineering and civil
engineers can design structures, then what keeps a C.E. from doing S.E.
work?

Please excuse me if I seem to be playing with the semantics too much.
Maybe that's why I'm confused.

Calvin Lee, P.E.