Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: SE Registration

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

In the outer circle of the California stamp is says "Registered
Professional Engineer"; on the inside circle it says "Structural".

In actual practice, a California engineer will have two licenses, one a
civil and the other a structural and each will have it's own number.

On the other hand, my Nevada license says "Professional Engineer" in the
outer circle and the inner circle it says "Civil/Structural".

In both cases, the state's collect the fees for each classification.

I've got some other states, but I don't remember what they say.

Hope that really confuses you.

Neil Moore
old S.E.

>Just out of curiosity.  Does a California license actually say "Licensed
>Structural Engineer", "Licensed Civil Engineer", "Licensed Mechanical
>Engineer"..etc?  Here in Oregon, our piece of paper just says that you
>are "...registered as Professional Engineer,....especially qualified in
>Civil Engineering" or ".....especially qualified in Structural
>Engineering"...etc.  I believe that only those "qualified in Structural
>Engineering" can use the title S.E.  We do need to pass the SE I and II
>exam to get the "qualified in Structural Engineering".
>How does this verbage stack up against codes that says "a person
>authorized to practice structural engineering" vs. "designed by a
>licensed Structural Engineer"?  If it's to be designed by a Licensed
>Structural Engineer, then "technically", we really don't have
>any.....we're all registered as P.E.'s.  If it's to be designed by
>someone authorized to practise structural engineering and civil
>engineers can design structures, then what keeps a C.E. from doing S.E.
>Calvin Lee, P.E.